Founded in 1971, Alcorn is the oldest public historically black land-grant institution in the United States and the second oldest state supported institution of higher learning in Mississippi. Alcorn was founded as a result of the people of Mississippi’s efforts to educate the descendants of formerly enslaved Africans. It was named in honor of the sitting governor of Mississippi, James L. Alcorn. The site was originally occupied by Oakland College, a school established by Presbyterians in 1828.
Alcorn’s Oakland Memorial – circa 1839 is one of 6 buildings on the campus built in the 1830’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places.