Located about 60 miles southwest of Ridgeland and 40 miles northeast of Natchez along the Parkway, Port Gibson has preserved the timeless heritage of a storied past. Chartered as a town on March 12, 1803, Port Gibson is Mississippi’s third oldest settlement. It was the site of several clashes during the American Civil War and was important during Ulysses S. Grant’s Vicksburg Campaign. Many of Port Gibson’s historic buildings survived the Civil War because Grant believed the city “too beautiful to burn.”
Its lavish 19th Century homes, old storefronts, and battlefields recall the days of plantations and old southern hospitality. Today, you can journey through Port Gibson’s historic district and walking tours of over forty residences, houses of worship, and cemeteries, many dating back to the early 1800’s.
Circa 1904, Neoclassical-style home featuring 30-foot square Tuscan columns, high-speed wireless internet, hot Southern breakfast, Direct TV w/HBO, and The Piano Room. Call 601.214.0215 or visit www.pianohousebb.com
Church Street was originally called Cotton Street, having been named after the Cotton family. Nine, beautiful historic churches are located on Church Street in Port Gibson.
An exhibit of 53 vintage photographs of Port Gibson and Claiborne County.
The Samuel Gibson House, the second home of the founder of Port Gibson, is the oldest existing structure in Port Gibson.
Located on Church Street, the grounds of this mansion contain three guest houses. Two of the guest buildings are reminiscent of antebellum splendor welcoming overnight guests in a “Gone with the Wind” setting. Luxurious accommodations include elegatly-draped canopied beds, 18th and 19th century antiques, private baths and family-friendly adjoining rooms. Bicycle groups accommodated. For more […]
Convenient, comfortable, quiet location one block off Highway 61 in historic downtown Port Gibson.
This 1880 Queen Anne located in the heart of Port Gibson is a great stop for history buffs. The bed and breakfast recently opened after an extensive restoration by its proprietors. Four rooms/private baths are available. Full Southern Breakfast. Dinner & lunch available by reservation. Wireless internet. Business meetings, luncheons, receptions/showers also available by reservation. Call […]
Founded in 1971, Alcorn is the oldest public historically black land-grant institution in the United States and the second oldest state supported institution of higher learning in Mississippi.
The 450 acre park officially opened May 6, 1962. The park is a Civil War battlefield site with two fortifications, picnic areas, hiking trails, observation tower, museum, cemetery, RV and tent camping with showers and laundry facility
Mississippi Cultural Crossroads is the local arts agency for Claiborne County.
Built in 1860, west of Port Gibson by Smith C. Daniell, II. In 1890 the main structure was destroyed by fire, leaving only stately columns as mute evidence of a glorious, historic past.
Preserved here is a portion of the deeply eroded or ‘sunken’ Old Trace. Hardships of journeying on the Old Trace included heat, mosquitos, poor food, hard beds (if any), disease, and harsh swamps.