Founded in 1971, Alcorn is the oldest public historically black land-grant institution in the United States and the second oldest state supported institution of higher learning in Mississippi.
The 450 acre park officially opened May 6, 1962. The park is a Civil War battlefield site with two fortifications, picnic areas, hiking trails, observation tower, museum, cemetery, RV and tent camping with showers and laundry facility
Milepost 45.7 – Grindstone Ford/Mangum Mound – Northbound travelers used to consider themselves in wild country once they crossed the ford on Bayou Pierre. Artifacts found here tell about the prehistoric people who lived in this area.
Church Street was originally called Cotton Street, having been named after the Cotton family. Nine, beautiful historic churches are located on Church Street in Port Gibson.
Milepost 61.0 – Lower Choctaw Boundary – This line bounded, north and south, lands taken up by new settlers of the Mississippi country and lands of the Choctaw.
Mississippi Cultural Crossroads is the local arts agency for Claiborne County.
An exhibit of 53 vintage photographs of Port Gibson and Claiborne County.
Milepost 39.2 – Port Gibson Ranger Station.
Milepost 54.8 – Rocky Springs – A short trail from the upper parking area leads to the old townsite. Camping, picnicking, ranger station, restrooms, phone, and part of the old trace.
The Samuel Gibson House, the second home of the founder of Port Gibson, is the oldest existing structure in Port Gibson.
Milepost 41.5 – Sunken Trace – Self-guiding trail. Allow five minutes to walk through a deeply eroded section of the original trace.
Preserved here is a portion of the deeply eroded or ‘sunken’ Old Trace. Hardships of journeying on the Old Trace included heat, mosquitos, poor food, hard beds (if any), disease, and harsh swamps.
Built in 1860, west of Port Gibson by Smith C. Daniell, II. In 1890 the main structure was destroyed by fire, leaving only stately columns as mute evidence of a glorious, historic past.