Two Rivers Mansion

Categories
Attractions

Two Rivers, one of the earliest and best preserved of the early Italianate houses in Middle Tennessee, was part of an 1100-acre plantation located on fertile, rolling land between the Stones and Cumberland Rivers.

tworiversmansionTwo Rivers, one of the earliest and best preserved of the early Italianate houses in Middle Tennessee, was part of an 1100-acre plantation located on fertile, rolling land between the Stones and Cumberland Rivers.  The junction of the two rivers suggested the name given to the place by an early owner, William Harding.

The mansion, built by David McGavock in 1859, was inhabited by the McGavock family for three generations until 1965.  The property was purchased by the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County in 1966. The fourteen-acre tract, which includes the mansion and a small brick house built in 1802, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Today, the mansion is a popular venue for weddings and receptions. There are currently no public operating hours for the mansion, but the main house, gazebo and surrounding grounds can be rented for private functions. Reservation and availability inquiries can be made by telephone. Prospective renters may view the interior of the mansion by appointment.

Leave a Reply