On November 30, 1864, Carnton was witness to one of the bloodiest battles of the entire Civil War. Everything the McGavock family ever knew was forever changed.
Carnton was built in 1826 by former Nashville Mayor Randal McGavock (1768-1843). Throughout the 19th century, it was frequently visited by those shaping Tennessee and American history, including President Andrew Jackson. The Battle of Franklin lasted barely five hours with the majority of the combat in the dark of night and at close quarters. This led to some 9,500 soldiers being killed, wounded, captured or counted as missing. Nearly 7,000 of that number were Confederate troops. Carnton served as the largest field hospital in the area for hundreds of wounded and dying soldiers.
Carnton (and Carter House) are open daily for guided tours. The guided tour at each site lasts about an hour and we recommend spending additional time exploring the grounds & outbuildings. Tours include grounds, gardens, outbuildings and access to the museum store.
1345 Eastern Flank Circle
Franklin, TN 37064