LaGrange College Site Park, 1461 LaGrange College Rd., Leighton, AL 35646. Established in 1830 as Alabama’s first college, LaGrange soon became known as “The West Point of the South.” The college was destroyed by Union forces led by Colonel Florence M. Cornyn and his “Destroying Angels.” Today, the historic site has been recreated with a pioneer village, including a welcome center and museum, restored cemetery and park with pavilion. Recall LaGrange (annual event) remembers LaGrange College, “West Point of the South,” and the destruction of the school and village by Union forces during the Civil War. Reenactment, (256) 446-9324. Hours: Park open daily from 9 am – 5 pm. Welcome Center/Museum open
Su 1- 4 pm or by appt. Free. Gift Shop.