Sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists, National Bike Month is a celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling — and encourage more people to give it a try.
Whether you hop on two wheels to save money or time, to preserve your health or the environment, or simply to explore the great outdoors, National Bike Month is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle. And the Natchez Trace Parkway is the perfect place to do it!
Pedaling out to the scenic Natchez Trace offers an easy-going, easy-to-love experience. The National Park Service has designated the entire 444 miles as a bicycle route, where bicyclists can relax and enjoy an exceptionally scenic roadway, unspoiled by commercial signage or development, and offering up gorgeous vistas at every turn.
Along the historic route from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee, the Trace provides numerous hiking trails, wayside exhibits, and fun outdoor recreational activities. Cyclists can even enjoy the convenient bicycle-only campgrounds.
10 reasons why the Natchez Trace Parkway is an extraordinary cycling route:
- NPS designates the entire parkway as a bike route. Numerous signs instruct cars to share the road with bicycles. Take a look at the biking guidelines.
- Commercial traffic is prohibited. And for regular vehicles, the maximum speed limit is topped at 50 mph.
- You won’t find unsightly stop signs, stop lights, or billboards. Just the quiet sounds of nature and pure scenic beauty.
- Declared as a National Scenic Byway and All-American Road, the breathtaking scenic overlooks are truly a special treat.
- Rich in history — the historic attractions and interpretive exhibits along the 444-mile road offer interesting stops. From Andrew Jackson to Meriwether Lewis, fascinating history awaits you.
- The opportunity to view wildlife. Find over 136 types of birds and over 200 mammals, herptiles, and fish species.
- The endless hiking and camping opportunities.
- Access on and off the Trace is via on/off ramps, which means no need to worry about cross traffic.
- When you hop off the Trace, explore the 18 Trace communities. Each town offers delicious dining, cozy lodging, attractions, and shopping.
- In addition to special Bike Month dates and events, Trace community events can always be found!
With so many reasons to ride, what’s yours?
This May, get together with friends and family and start pedaling out to the Parkway! Be sure to take a moment and look over these NPS Safety Guidelines and download our free Natchez Trace Visitors Guide.
Posted on May 22, 2020
Posted on April 15, 2020
Posted on April 13, 2020